Living in California, we are lucky to have fresh Pineapples available to us all year-long, but the peak season is now through July!
Starting April 1 and running through May 31, pineapple lovers will find a limited time Pineapple Pairing Menu at Islands Burgers with suggested pairings of popular pineapple dishes from the main menu. Each pairing is meant to complement and bring out the sweet and savory flavors of the fruit.
One of the best ways to start off your meal at Islands is by ordering a big plate of bacon cheddar fries. Just watch the video and you will see why!
One of the items on the menu is a Hoisen Bowl, made with chunks of fresh grilled pineapple and grilled vegetables, served over brown rice with mahi mahi or chicken. This bowl goes great with a cold Pina Colada.
Another great combination is the Yaki Tacos, topped with a house-made grilled pineapple salsa, paired with a refreshing Mai Tai
Oh, and don’t forget dessert. Nothing says I love you like a huge slice of hula Pie and a warm brownie with Ice Cream! Your midsection might not thank you but your kids most definitely will!
Fact: Islands uses nearly 182,000 fresh pineapple per year, restaurant-wide
Kids can join in on the fun with a themed coloring contest, which will also run through the end of May. To enter, kids simply design and decorate the pineapple coloring sheets provided in restaurant, and parents or legal guardians post the colorful creations to social media using #PineappleParadise and #IslandsBurgers for a chance to win $50 to Islands. Ten lucky winners will be selected. For kids that love pineapple, Islands Gremmie Menu features a dish popular with both kids and parents, fresh pineapple spears with yogurt dip.
Islands Hawaiian Burger Recipe
- Hamburger buns
- Hamburger patty
- 2 fresh cut pineapple rings
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 slice onion
- 1.4 oz. shredded lettuce
- 0.8 oz. mayonnaise
- 1 oz. teriyaki sauce
- Get the grill sizzling and well-seasoned with a light brush of cooking oil before you start so the pineapple doesn’t stick
- Grill freshly cut pineapple rings for 3 minutes per side. Clear char marks should be visible – but not burnt.
- Cook hamburger patty for 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side
- Apply spices while the patty is on the grill, as your favorite spices are most easily absorbed when the burger is cooking
- Flip the meat when the juices begin to pool on the top of the patty
- Remember never to press down on the burger to keep it nice and juicy
- Add Swiss cheese after the flip to achieve the perfect melt
- Toast bun on oiled grill for 1 to 2 minutes – a well-toasted bun gives flavor and texture and helps the burger hold up to the condiments
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom bun – spread it from “coast to coast” to ensure you have an even layer (about the thickness of a dime)
- Layer shredded lettuce, onion and tomato on bottom bun
- Place hamburger patty with Swiss cheese on next – the build is very important to achieve the best mix of flavors
- Top with grilled pineapple rings and teriyaki sauce, and top bun
Follow Islands on Twitter and Instagram at @IslandsBurgers and like Islands at www.facebook.com/IslandsRestaurants. Don’t forget to share your favorite pineapple moments by using hashtags #PineappleParadise and #IslandsBurgers!