Nothing hits the spot quite like a juicy burger and fries from Islands Restaurant. A favorite of mine is their Hawaiian Burger with tropical, sweet slices of golden pineapple dressed in a tangy, teriyaki sauce. Last week we visited Islands for lunch at the Kaleidescope Center in Mission Viejo. While we did not order the Hawaiian burger this day, we did order a couple of salads and the kids enjoyed a healthy kids meal. I highly recommend the China Coast. It has so many different flavors and textures packed in like crunchy wonton strips, meaty chicken pieces, sweet tiny mandarin oranges, carrots, chives and snow peas. The Kaanapali Kobb salad includes grilled & chilled chicken breast, crumbled applewood smoked bacon, fresh avocado, bleu cheese crumbles, chopped hard-cooked egg, tomatoes, scallions & lettuce, and is tossed w/kobb dressing. This salad is refreshing and tastes great! Let’s not forget the fries. No Islands meal is complete with out Island fries. These gorgeous slender potatoes are cooked with their skin on giving them a perfectly crispy crunch. They taste even better with cheese on them. The kids meals were very reasonable and healthy. You can choose from burgers, grilled cheese, Li’l Tiki Tenders, hot dogs, Macaroni & Cheese, Quesadilla, Grilled Chicken Sandwich or pasta. Instead of fries, guests can now choose from Steamed Veggies (Broccoli or Carrots), a Garden Salad, Caesar Salad, Veggie Dippers w/Ranch Dip, Applesauce, Fresh Pineapple w/Yogurt Dip or Fresh Apple w/Yogurt Dip. So the next time you find yourself hungry, head to your nearest Islands burger. In the mean time here is a recipe for their Hawaiian Burger. Visit Island on Facebook and on Twitter.
Islands Hawaiian Burger Recipe
- Burger Patties
- Pineapple RingsSwiss Cheese
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Get the grill sizzling and season it with a light brush of cooking oil.
- Grill fresh pineapple rings for 5 minutes per side
- Cook burger patties for 2½ to 3 mins per side. Flip the meat when the juices begin to pool on the top of the patty.
- Add swiss cheese after the flip to achieve the perfect melt.
- Toast bun on oiled grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread mayonaisse on the bottom bun and layer onion, lettuce and tomato.
- Place burger patty with swiss cheese on next.
- Top with pineapple rings, teriyaki sauce and top bun.